"Not flesh of my flesh, Nor bone of my bone, But still miraculously my own. Never forget for a single minute,
You didn't grow under my heart - but in it"
Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Saturday, October 29, 2011

What we take for granted


Tonight while on vacation (I'll post vaca pics soon) I looked over at Noah and Paul handed him a donut. He took the donut put it up to his mouth took a bite and began chewing. I was fascinated and we all were celebrating. As I was watching this unfold I thanked God for having a child that couldnt eat. I know that y'all must think I have lost my mind! Maybe I have. When you have a child who develops typically you rarely notice the same things. At least that is how it was for us. You hand your almost 2yr old kid a mcnugget apple slice and they pick it up put it to their mouths and eat it. No big hurray's or hand claps or way to go's. But for us, for Noah, seeing something like this is magical.

I love that when he does little simple tasks it gets celebrated. I love that when I see him do something like clap, crawl, walk, mimic a word, eat, stand on his toes that we all freak out. I know how hard those simple things are for him and how he was never suppose to even survive let alone do anything.

Now heres where y'all are really gonna think I lost my mind. I think that everyone should have a special needs child. No matter what you say if you have a typical child you have not experienced the joy that the little things bring. You can say you do. First time moms and dads probably say "I celebrate everything! I get what your saying it is awesome when they do that." Seriously though you dont get it. You dragon moms and moms of special kids you get it. I bet y'all are sitting there nodding your head and thinking of a time your child did something "typical" and I bet you have a big ole smile on your face right now.

Tonight will forever be etched into my brain. The night my son picked up a donut put it to his mouth and took a bite. Thank you Jesus for giving me such an awesome child. Thank you for the miracle of eating.

Be blessed

No comments:

Post a Comment